The Gastric Bypass Surgery also known as Bypass RYN It is a Weight Loss Surgery by far the most commonly performed in the United States. This involves in which the stomach is divided into a small upper pouch, and then the small intestine is rearranged to connect to both this is usually done in 2.5mts creating to ways a alimentary loop and a biliary loop that helps digestion.
We recommend gastric bypass treat morbid obesity, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, and other conditions related to overweight. For almost all our patients, helps with the hunger sensation and reduces the capacity of food intake. The main cardinal points on this surgical procedure is patients with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, type 2 diabetes or fail gastric sleeve. On some of our patients we have develop a one anastomosis gastric bypass that shows same results, less surgical risk and same weight loss success.
This surgery takes about 1.30hr to 2hrs on the operation room, 30 min to 1hr on the recovery room. After 4hrs the patient is able to walk, recovery is very fast one of the advantages of laparoscopic surgery. All medication like antibiotics, ant nausea, and analgesics are administrate intravenous, a Jackson Pratt drain is left for patient security witch is taking out on the third day of hospitalization. The surgery requires 3 days of hospital. All our patients get a private room with Tv, Air-conditioned, Restroom, and a sofa where a companion can stay overnight.
Advantage of the Bypass Surgery
- Fast recovery – a patient will experience a very fast recovery over the 3 days of hospitalization a patient usually can go back to work after a week of the surgery.
- Weight Loss Success – This procedure offers a Rapid weight loss and a long-term success, depending on the stating weight usually experiencing from 15 to 35 pounds the first month loosing up to 85% of the excess weight in 8 to 10 months.
- Reverse – This surgery can be reverse in some cases even that is not a usually surgery the stomach pouch created on the initial surgery can be reconnected to the native stomach redoing the gastrointestinal function as it was at the beginning.
- Gastroesophageal reflux – When patient has a history of GERG or a Reflux condition the bypass is the choice for them, eliminating the pyloric valve we are able to let the stomach to evacuate in less improving the symptoms.
- Less hunger – The stomach capacity becomes to 6oz with good restriction helping the patient to stop eating, we offer a modified bypass witch taking the native stomach outs removes the area of production of ghrelin which is responsible of hunger, that decision is up to each patient.
- Type 2 Diabetes – Gastric bypass is ideal to treat and reversed in up to 90% of patients, usually leading to a normal blood-sugar level without medication, sometimes within days of surgery.